We are very excited to announce the launch of The Vlieseline Fine Art Textiles Award, an international juried exhibition open to all amateur and practising artists using textiles as their medium.
In a bid to celebrate excellence in fine art textiles in a way that has never been done before, the new Fine Art Textiles Award will recognise the creative talents and skills of a broad community of high-calibre artists and will celebrate textiles’ rightful place amongst high art.
Our aim is to present work that meets the following criteria and is of a standard that:
- Would be considered as fine art and worthy of premium gallery space
- Transcends its craft or making process, standing alone as visual art is clearly rooted in and reflecting of the inspiration, source, concept or idea of the artist, with fully resolved composition
- Is rooted within the medium of textiles, meaning that cloth and thread are used as the pivotal materials/media.
Both 2D and 3D works are welcome, with the exception of garments unless said garments present as fine art. All disciplines, processes and media are therefore welcome, as long as the key/pivotal materials are clearly rooted in textiles. Without providing an exhaustive list, in terms of process this might include hand and/or machine stitch, weaving, collage/piecing, wrapping or binding, thread ‘drawing’, surface design, knitting and crochet. In terms of media, other elements can be incorporated such as dyes, discharge media, paint, paper, resin, wax and so forth.
The selected works will be displayed in a Gallery at The Festival of Quilts in August and The Knitting & Stitching Shows in Alexandra Palace, London and HCC, Harrogate. One overall winner will be awarded £5,000 and there is a runner up prize of £500 for Innovative Use of Textiles. The winners will be decided at The Festival of Quilts and announced at The Awards Ceremony on Thursday 1st August.
- Click here for the ‘Rules and submission criteria’
- The deadline for entering is 3rd May 2019 and the fee for entering is £27.00 (plus a transaction fee)
Quilt Masters – Dorothy Caldwell – N.9 – How Do We Know It’s Winter