The fashion industry has been known to be a culprit in today’s wasteful society. To highlight the importance of sustainability and environmental awareness in fashion we have put together a dress-making contest that is all about being green.
The Competition Categories
At this year’s Spring Knitting & Stitching Show we’re inviting YOU to enter our Dressmaking competition.
We want to put your dressmaking skills to the test with 3 categories for our 2019 competition.
1. A Dress from your Stash:
We would like you to make a dress from any unused materials you already have at home, remnants from a previous make or channel your inner Maria Von Trapp and use some old fabric like curtains. The options are endless, you just already have to own it!
Please re-use an old pattern.
2. Go GREEN:
Submit a garment made from non-traditional materials like paper, bubblewrap, plastic bottles. Go WILD, the wackier the better.
3. Upcycle an existing garment into something wearable.
Turn an old pair of jeans into a dress, an old shirt into a new skirt or some old ties into a jacket. As long as it’s a wearable garment made from an existing item of clothing then you’re in for a chance to win.
How to Enter
All final pieces need to be a wearable garment and finalists will displayed at the show in our Competition Gallery from Thursday 28th February. On Sunday 3rd March we will invite all finalists to attend the show where we will announce the winners in the competition gallery.
There will be one winner for each category and an overall winner so 4 in total, and the overall winner will be voted for by our visitors throughout the 4 days of the show.
- Contestants MUST use only existing materials found at home. A back-story will be expected to accompany the entry.
- Entrants need to complete the application form above (or download this form) and send it with images of the garment made to: Katie.Ventresca@upperstreetevents.co.uk by Midnight on Monday 11th February. We will contact all finalists by Friday 15th Feb.
- Garments chosen to be included in the show will need to be sent to us by Friday 22nd February. Send to:
Upper Street Events
58 White Lion Street
- The garments will be on display at the show in our Competition Gallery from Thursday 28th February until Sunday 3rd March in the Finalists Gallery.
- Finalists will be invited to attend the show on Sunday 3rd March for an awards ceremony. (tickets to enter the show will be provided)
- You will be able to collect and take your garments home after the show on Sunday 3rd March.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence can be entered into. Prizes will be as stated and no alternatives are available.