Understanding and Using Colour with Hilary Beattie
Brought to you by Immediate Live Masterclasses
Colour is an essential part of the work of any artist, crafter or creative. Understanding and Using Colour will equip you with a working knowledge of colour theory and its practical application, instilling the confidence in you to use colour in a personal way in your own working practice.
Colour is an essential part of the work of any artist, crafter or creative and understanding and using colour as a tool to increase the power of your craft can be a difficult skill to master.
Textile and mixed media artist Hilary Beattie will develop your understanding of the colour wheel, clarify the importance of warm vs. cool and transparency vs. opacity. You will master the art of mixing and appreciate the possibilities of the hundreds of colours you can create from the basics, particularly when utilising tints, tones and shades. Through the various exercises within this Masterclass, you will learn to identify and match colours in primary and secondary sources, creating your own resource books to guide you into your future and ongoing work.
This series will equip you with a working knowledge of colour theory and its practical application, instilling the confidence in you to use colour in a personal way in your own working practice.
Level: All levels
- Colour Wheel; Primary and Secondary Colours
- Primaries & Secondaries: Practical
- Colour Schemes
- Colour Scheme Practical
- Monotones: Tints, Tones & Shades
- Colour and Value
- Creating Neutrals and Harmonising a Palette
- Opacity and Transparency
- Colour Sampling, Colour Schemes and Review
- By purchasing this Masterclass, you will gain unlimited access to this On-Demand series, with opportunities to interact directly with Hilary during one of our regular ‘Meet the Tutor’ live sessions. Once you have purchased the Masterclass, we will keep in touch so that you know when the next live tutor session is taking place. These live sessions will be free to attend for Masterclass purchasers.
- 10 hours of video tutorials. The sessions have been split into 10 bitesize sessions, meaning you can navigate and watch specific sections again at ease.
Access to the sessions
The on-demand recordings will be available until 11:59pm (GMT) on 31 December 2021.
About the Tutor: Dionne Swift
Originating from Yorkshire and now based in Newport, South Wales, Hilary Beattie is an artist with an appetite for creating, teaching and exhibiting her work. With a visually orientated approach to creating, Hilary seeks to share her views and experiences with others through her passions: colour, form and imagery. She achieves this through a mixed media approach and palette, adapting her medium of choice depending on the message which she wishes to share.
Hilary’s work centres around her view of the world as a beautiful place, despite its sometimes-ugly aspects. Hilary is fanatical about making her own materials and uses paint, dye and collage extensively. On these bases she adds more layers, including stitch, to build up complex visual stories, often producing vivid and graphic works.
Further to her work as an artist, Hilary is an author of three books Make it Personal 1 & 2, and The Gentle Art of Gelliping, with a fourth book underway. She also owns a teaching studio and shop Hilary B: Original Art & Design, which sells a range of products that Hilary has designed and/or produced, as well as some tools that she uses in her work. Through Hilary’s studio avid textile artists can also find teaching workshops and a few special ‘retreats’ which take place annually.