Observe and Stitch: Landscapes with Dionne Swift
Brought to you by Immediate Live Masterclasses
Follow Dionne Swift’s journey of creativity: helping you to develop your powers of observation, whilst discovering more of the world around you by seeking out new ways of drawing and mark making. Find an honesty in your creative practice through a deep connection with Landscape.
Exploring drawing and the translation of visual ideas into paper and cloth. This masterclass follows Dionne Swift’s intimate creative journey, giving you a window into her artistic practice. Together you’ll develop your powers of observation, whilst discovering more of the world around you by seeking out new ways of drawing and mark making. Find an honesty in your creative practice through a deep connection with Landscape.
This masterclass is perfect for those curious as to how they might develop their own creativity, and those with a desire to find truth, focus and independence in their work. Dionne guides you in finding your unique creative process and voice, including how to lose yourself in your artwork, translating drawings into textiles.
What you'll learn:
- To encourage & enable confidence in your individual creative process
- To illustrate a new dialogue through observation and acute awareness of subject
- To illustrate a direct correlation between observation, drawing and translation to textiles
- Process is everything – it’s that intimate connection between you and your subject that offers profound substance to this endeavour
- Indulgence in the moment, in the act of making and observing work on paper and on cloth
- By purchasing this Masterclass, you will gain unlimited access to this On-Demand series, with opportunities to interact directly with Dionne during one of our regular ‘Meet the Tutor’ live sessions. Once you have purchased the Masterclass, we will keep in touch so that you know when the next live tutor session is taking place. These live sessions will be free to attend for Masterclass purchasers.
- 10 hours of video tutorials. The sessions have been split into 10 bitesize sessions, meaning you can navigate and watch specific sections again at ease.
Access to the sessions
The on-demand recordings will be available until 11:59pm (GMT) on 31 December 2021.
About the Tutor: Dionne Swift
Dionne uses the scale, emotion and energy of Landscapes to inspire energetic drawings and textiles. The power of the elements: wind, rain, sea are translated into layers of intuitive marks: on paper and on cloth. Thread colours and textures entwine to produce a vibrant and dynamic surface with tones visually mixing and revealing themselves hence captivating and entrancing the viewer. Dionne sews as she draws, draws as she sews – using her sewing machine as a mark making tool. Embroidery need not be a slow, static meditation but lively, vibrant and effervescent.
Gold winner of Craft & Design Magazine’s SELECTED awards Textile Artist: Dionne Swift is a graduate of Goldsmith’s College, London University, she has a Masters in Textiles from UCE, Birmingham and has over 30 years of creative practice experience. Now based in Holmfirth, Yorkshire, she exhibits and tutors internationally.